Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chicken Taquitos

This is a recipe I adapted from the lovely ladies over at Our Best Bites ! I <3 them and their recipes are fantastic!! To be honest I actually make their version also (my husband requests this meal pretty much every week and I make him the spicy version and me this version!) so if you like some spice head over to their site and check it out! Our Best Bites Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos . I however like things a little bit tamer... if you know me well enough your probably saying to yourself "she actually eats this??" The answer is yes! With a bit of adjustment I actually enjoy this meal quite a bit also! :D

1/3 c. or 3oz cream cheese
1/2 c. garlic salsa (any salsa will do ... I am just in love with this particular salsa ATM )
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 c. shredded chicken
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese
1 package of small flour tortillas
cooking spray
course salt


This is my other adorable assistant that will be joining us today... :)



Start by cooking your chicken. This would be a great way to use up leftover chicken you have in the fridge but I usually just throw some in the oven with some olive oil, salt, and pepper

shred the chicken ( am I alone in the fact that I find shredding chicken a very annoying task?) 

Man its hard to find good help these days... asleep on the job! How typical!


ok ,while the rest of us get back to work.... place your cream cheese in a bowl and microwave it for 15-30 seconds to make it easier to stir 

mix in your salsa, spices, chicken, and cheese (the pics of this step are not so appealing.. so I left them out .. your welcome ;) ) This is the salsa I am in love with! 
  I am not a huge salsa fan (honestly I have only been eating it since I was pregnant with my first son about 2 years ago now!) but I LOVE this salsa! 

I like to use 6" tortillas for this, but the they didnt have them the last time I was at the store so these are done with 8" which work just fine also. Its pretty much the perfect amount of filling for one package of 8, 8" tortillas. 
Place 3-4 tortillas on plate with a damp paper towel and microwave for about a minute to soften them up and make them easier to roll up!  
place around 2 tbls of filling on the lower part of your tortilla

roll it up tightly 

This batch I am making ahead of time to freeze so from here I rolled them up in wax paper (in 4's since thats the amount I eat for a meal) and placed them in a ziplock freezer bag. 

If your going to bake them right away... place them on a foil lined pan, spray lightly with the cooking spray, and sprinkle with course salt. Bake at 425 for 15-20 mins until the edges start to crisp up and they brown slightly! 


No comments:

Post a Comment