Thursday, May 12, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Spritz Cookies

I dont know about you, but I am ALL about a product that is super easy to use and results in people thinking I have spent so much time in the kitchen slaving over something! Lately I have had quite a few people tell me they dont know how I do all the cooking, baking, and crafting that I do with a 2.5 year old running around and an almost 6 month old ! As much as I would adore the "superwoman" title some have busted out ..... Its completely not true because I CHEAT!... a lot... LOL Sometimes I choose baking cookies over doing laundry just because I feel like it and I blessed enough to be a SAHM, meaning... guess what, that laundry will still be there tomorrow! LOL I also have several crafting projects that are sitting around partly finished because I just dont have the time sometimes! 

Let me introduce you to one of the ways I cheat :




Truth be told I actually bought this beauty as Christmas gift for someone this past year... and I just couldnt bring myself to give it away! 
Seriously if you dont have one of these, you NEED one! They are not expensive at all and turn out the cutest little cookies with ease! 

I actually made these cookies a while back on the same day I made those oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! The house was in decent shape already that day and both the kids decided to nap at the same time (cue chorus of angles singing!!!) I still felt like baking and I hadnt made a treat for the hubs to take to work to share in couple weeks,and  I was starting to fear a riot of treat craving men.. so I busted out my cookie press and went to town! 

I have a thing for the combination of chocolate and coconut! When asked what my favorite candy bar is I usually answer with this "Almond Joy, with out the almond" I know what your thinking... so you mean Mounds?? ... NOPE! Mounds uses dark chocolate and Almond Joy uses milk chocolate! I much prefer milk chocolate so I usually just dont eat the Almond, unless I am feelin like a nut that day ;) tehe! 

Wilton's website has tons of different recopies for spritz cookies! They have a chocolate one and a coconut one... but I couldnt find one combining the two.. so I made my own! :D Basically I just made the chocolate recipe and tossed some coconut in ;) I know I made that super complicated!!  

1 1/4 c butter 
1 c sugar
2/3 c brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla 
2 1/2 c flour 
2/3 c baking coco
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1 c finely chopped coconut

Yields aprox : 5 dozen  
(note: I halved this recipe which is why it looks like there is next to nothing in the bowl) 



Cream together butter and sugars until its light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and then vanilla 


sift together dry ingredients in a bowl

I put my coconut in my food processor but you could chop it by hand as well... just made sure your chop it enough so that the pieces dont get stuck in the press! 


gradually add the dry ingredients and coconut until its throughly mixed  

Wilton's website suggests rolling the dough into a log to load it into the cookie press.... but I just take a small spoon and shove it in there as tight as I can it ;) 


after you load your gun you get to the fun stuff... you get to pick your cookie shape :D 


 and then place your press on the pan and squeeze the trigger! ( note... this is one time where you actually want to listen the part of the directions that says  " un greased pan" because the dough will not stick to the pan if it is greased and you'll get really upset about why its not working) 

bake at 375 for 8-12 mins and cool on a rack 


There are TONS of different recipes for these spritz cookies out there and they will keep for several weeks in an air tight container or can be frozen for several months to be easily popped out when company shows up last minute! 







No comments:

Post a Comment